Town clerks collect recording fees based upon the type of document and number of pages.
Recording fees are as follows:
- $60.00 for the first page of each document recorded regardless of type or length
- $5.00 for each additional page of each document
- $2.00 if the document is a deed conveying title
- $159.00 for the 1st Page – any mortgage, assignment, release, subordination that references MERS. (1st page is $159 and $5 each additional.)
A typical fixed rate FNMA/ FHLMC mortgage contains 14-16 pages; riders for condos, variable rate, 1-4 family, etc. generally add 2 pages to the mortgage document.
Warranty deeds are usually 1-3 pages.
Typical recording fees would be:
- Mortgage – $125.00 – $145.00
- Warranty Deed – $60.00 – $72.00
Buyers pay for the recording of the warranty deed and the buyer’s mortgage.
Sellers pay for recording releases of their mortgages, their powers of attorney, and any quitclaim deed, change of name certificate, etc. The seller also pays for the town and state transfer taxes.
This page was last updated Monday, January 15, 2018 and reflects State of Connecticut law as of this date. Recording fees are set and regulated by the State of Connecticut. We will update this page as soon as possible in the event the State adjusts the fees mentioned above.